Hello, in today’s information we will talk about SGOT Blood Test, what is SGOT Test, why is this test done and how is it done and will know all the information about it.
What is SGOT Test?
This is a type of blood test which is done under Liver Function Test. With the help of SGOT Blood Test, we can know the amount of enzyme in the blood. Diseases can be detected when there is more and less of it.
SGOT test is also called ALT SGOT test. This test determines the amount of GOT in the blood.
What is SGOT
SGOT (Serum Glutamic-Oxaloacetic Transaminase Test) is a liver enzyme found in the human liver.
How is the SGOT blood test done?
To perform the SGPT test, a blood sample is taken from the patient’s arm. The blood sample is taken from the pathologist by the lab technician and tested by the modern machines in the lab.
When and why is the SGOT test done?
Some people have a question in their mind that why this test is done. When does the doctor tell when to do the SGOT test? So let’s find out.
- If you are suffering from any kind of liver related diseases and are undergoing treatment, then you may have to undergo this test several times.
- If you have any heart disease, your doctor may ask you to do this test.
- This test can be done if there is any liver disease.
- If you have increased triglyceride in your blood.
- If there is sugar, or anemia, then this test is done.
- The test is done even if you consume a lot of alcohol.
- This test is also done if you have any disease related to the gallbladder.
Are there any special precautions needed before this test?
No, no special precautions are usually needed before doing the SGOT blood test, a blood sample can be taken at any time. But some things need to be noted. like
- Before doing this test, if you are taking any medicine, then you must tell the doctor.
- And if you have any kind of disease, then definitely tell the doctor about it.
SGOT Normal Level
The normal level of SGOT is 5-40 U/L but this value can vary slightly depending on the laboratory.
- SGOT Normal Level– 5 to 40 U/L
What are the symptoms and causes of increased SGOT level in blood?
Higher SGOT Level- Generally, the level of SGOT increases in liver diseases such as-
- Chronic Hepatitis
- Liver damage from alcohol
- Heart, kidney, bone and muscle damage
- Liver cancer
- Liver scarring
- Liver Cirrhosis
SGOT is also found in many other diseases such as heart, kidney and brain patients can also increase this enzyme.
What are the symptoms and causes of low SGOT level in blood?
low SGOT level- Some diseases cause the SGOT level to decrease like-
- Chronic renal dialysis
- Acute renal disease
- Vitamin b6 deficiency
- Genetic Condition
If you have any of the problems mentioned above, then the SGOT level in your blood may be low.
Does taking medicines also increase SGOT level?
Yes, some medicines can also increase the SGOT level such as steroids, non-steroid, anti-inflammatory, inflammatory drugs like Asprin, medicines that lower cholesterol can also increase SGOT.
SGOT Test Price
Talking about the cost of SGOT Blood Test, then this test ranges from ₹ 60 to ₹ 120.
Can a single SGOT blood test detect liver disease?
No, usually many more tests are done with this test, only after that liver disease is confirmed.
SGOT Related Other Test
There are some tests that doctors can get done with the SGOT Blood Test. With which diseases occurring in the liver can be detected.
- Total Proteine
- Alkaline Phosphates
- Gamma GT (GGT)
- Bilirubin test
- glucose test
- Platelet count